List of products by brand Raìna
WINEGROWER IN MONTEFALCO
We produce biodynamic wines, profoundly territorial. Not wines to taste but wines to DRINK!
We continuously work to avoid passively exploiting our environment, and at the same time, to enhance it, ensuring the protection and renewal of natural resources. .....
This environmental sustainability plan does not only encompass the land, but also the cellar, which is equipped with solar panels that provide 70% of all the electricity used on the farm. The remaining 30% comes from renewable sources too, thanks to an agreement that we’ve had with Multiutility Spa since 2012, which provides us with energy from hydroelectric power plants. Our hot water is produced by the sun by way of solar panels and our rooms are heated with a biomass boiler. The water that we need for the winery comes from our own well, and we use the water from our own little lake, formerly known as the “Pacino" fish pond, to water the extensive lawns and the olive trees on the property. Water disposal from the wine cellar is thanks to a modern wastewater purification plant using activated sludge.
We have practiced biodynamic agriculture since 2012. The first obligation of the winemaker, in our opinion, is to care for the land he manages. He should try to preserve the richness of the soil that produces the fruits of his labour, without passively exploiting it for purely economic reasons, or progressively impoverish it through the use of chemicals. With this in mind, we think biodynamics is the only way forward.
The management of our biodynamic vineyard is as follows during the year:
In winter we work the land and sow the plants for green manure..
In spring, after pruning, we treat the vines with Eau d'Enduit (Maria Thun Fladen, fresh whey and bentonite), which has a healing effect on the cuts. When the ground begins to warm up, we treat it with Horn Manure 500 preparation and Horsetail. For plant treatments, we prepare decoctions of nettle, garlic and wild willow to mix in with the bordolese pulp
In the summer, if there is lots of rain, we treat the vines with Horn Silica 501 treatment, and if the season demands it, we repeat this treatment at the end of August, to help with ripening. Any excess of heat, we combat with treatments based on nettle and camomile.
In autumn, before the leaves fall off, we treat with Horn Silica 501. After the leaves fall, we use Maria Thun Fladen preparation on the soil and, after about 20 days, we treat with Horn Manure 500.
Our winery is certified organic by Codex. In the vineyard we strictly adhere to biodynamic principles. We do not use chemical herbicides, fertilizers, or synthetic pesticides. To treat the vines, we use only copper, sulphur and infusions and decoctions of plants (nettle, horsetail, wild willow etc). For fertilizer, we use biodynamic preparations (Fladen, horn manure 500, and horn silica 501) and green compost, from our own prunings etc. In the future, to protect the vines from disease and parasites, we aim to increase the use of homeopathy and permaculture. All phases of production, from pruning to harvest, are performed manually.
In the cellar we do not use any chemicals other than a minimal use of sulphites. Fermentation always occurs spontaneously, even with the white wine, without added yeasts or fermentation activators. We do not use extractor enzymes, tannins, stabilizers, or other products, which, in our opinion, alter the nature of the wine. For aging, we use stainless steel, cement, barriques, tonneaux and large oak barrels. The red wines are not filtered; the whites sometimes undergo light filtration before bottling.
natural-winesSagrantino di Montefalco DOCG Campo di Raina Biodynamic Raìna
Is perfect paired with white and red meats, game, roasts, stews and aged cheeses